“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
This quote really speaks to me. In this day in age, we are constantly inundated with information, it can be hard to filter through and to not compare yourself to others.
Becoming a mother gave me a confidence that I didn’t know I had. And while it is easy to lose your identity in being a mom, I think I was also able to find my authentic, unapologetic self there too. I mean most days I am a seriously hot mess but at least I am a seriously authentic hot mess! We all have our good days and bad days but I try to find little joys and take each day one day at a time while learning more about myself and who I am.
I’ve learned that to try to live authentically I have had to try to let go of certain things. The past two years have seen a lot of growth + a lot of change. I am still learning, growing and changing. Some things that have helped me to allow more joy into my life are:
- It’s okay to say no
- Let go of things, friendships, and ideas that are weighing you down
- Find people who resonate with you and share in and your values
- Be passionate and convicted without always sharing your passion and convictions — not everyone cares or shares those same passions
- Work on your passions a little bit every day
- Let go of being “right”
- Being fiercely reactive & agitative can show a lack of confidence
- It’s okay to be different
- Attitude really is everything
- Discuss the important things even when it’s hard, and do so as calmly as possible
I am so grateful for all the kind people I have met on my motherhood journey and all the people I already knew who have been amazing supports. For me, connections with likeminded people have become an invaluable piece of my joy and my authenticity.
I can be a pretty passionate and reactive person. I am highly emotional especially when it comes to the things that I care deeply about. I have been trying to keep my passion while keeping a level head which can be difficult at the best of times. Life is stressful and emotional and motherhood is hard but I have been learning to try my best to take it all in stride.
I am passionate about:
- My children
- Learning to be a respectful parent
- Whole foods and holistic living as much as I can manage
- Safe products by Beautycounter
- Critical thinking
- Healthy Living
- Human Rights
These and more!
I want my children to know that it is okay to be who you are and to challenge the status quo.
I want my children to know it’s okay to be different.
I want my children to be kind.
I want my children to care about others.
I want my children to be passionate and excited about life.
I want my children to be unafraid to try new things and to learn as much as they can.
I want my children to be grateful.
But, with these wishes for my children, I have to practice these things in my daily life. I am trying to get there – slowly but surely.
What are you passionate about? What brings you joy? Tell us below!