There has been a lot of debate about how to get rid of dandelions where I live. People hate them, they are an eye sore, and they won’t go away.
I personally don’t have a problem with the things. They aren’t that ugly to me and I don’t get the obsession with a perfectly manicured lawn anyway. But more than them not being an eye sore in my opinion, they are actually really beneficial to our ecosystem and our health.
Also, killing them with toxic chemicals is just a terrible idea for our health and the health of our environment so please, if you want to kill them, do so using a natural method (vinegar) or by pulling them by hand.
Here are some of the benefits of dandelions:
- They are good for the bees! With the bee populations declining, dandelions provide pollen for the bees which in turn helps us by keeping these pollinators around to help grow our food! (This is such a “no brainer” to me…)
- Dandelion root is good for detox and cleansing the liver
- Purifies the blood
- The leaves have many vitamins such as A, C, D and B
- The leaves also contain iron
- Good for female organs
- Helps to detox and with UTI’s
- The root is a great coffee replacement
- And so much more!
I know a lot of people desperately hate these yellow wild flowers (I don’t like to call them weeds) but they are actually a vital part of the ecosystem and have so many nutritional benefits! Leave the dandelions alone!